Intern CROPS4HD (possibly in connection with a master thesis)
CROPS4HD seeks to improve food security and nutrition of smallholder farmers, especially women, through sustainable use and conservation of farmers’ varieties/landraces, neglected and underutilized species respecting agroecological approaches. CROPS4HD is an international collaborative project of three NGOs co-founded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, Global Programme Food Security.
To support the project team we are looking for an Intern CROPS4HD, beginning 1.9.2023 or by agreement for a period of 12 months.
- In charge of the website, which serves as a repository of important project information (accessible to all consortium partners) and provides information about the project for key target groups such as SDC, interested potential donors and interested parties. In addition, the intern is responsible for creating content on social media and publishing articles on the www.swissaid.ch website.
- Assistance in contacting potential donors (contributors) for CROPS4HD (general, country, and thematic level) and submits applications. Furthermore, he/she coordinates the submission of applications with the partners of the consortium.
- Assistance in the coordination and monitoring of the implementation of the CROPS4HD project.
- Support FiBL in analysing the CROPS4HD baseline survey and helps identify key findings for the CROPS4HD team in all countries
According to the academic requirements of the intern (Academic work that the intern may complete) further academic duties may be defined. Possible topics for a Master’s degree thesis include:
- Identification of key factors for successful establishment and maintenance of farmer led seed banks. Case studies of successful and failed farmer led seedbanks in East and West Africa.
- Investigation on conservation and storage techniques used in Africa, propositions to improve them according to the contexts of Niger, Tchad and Tanzania.
- Identification of local seed traders, investigate their business model and outreach (this will help us in seed market study foreseen for this year)
- Political bottleneck of local seed law for production, distribution and dissemination of seed of selected NUS species (a master thesis in collaboration with AFSA).
- Evaluate the decision trees of peasants for choice of crop and selection of a cultivar (a maser thesis based upon PUSH baseline survey).
- Bachelor or Masters degree in Development Studies, or other relevant field
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Written and spoken fluency in French and/or German (Swiss national language)
- Excellent knowledge and aptitude of computer and different software applications
- Time management and task prioritization
- Knowledge of Information Technology (IT)
- Intercultural skills and ability to deal with conflict
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to network
- Customer orientation with creativity/innovative capacity
- Process management skills
What we offer
An interesting and challenging task in a global organization. Collaboration in a professional, motivated team and regular contacts with our nine partner countries. Internship salary CHF 2,436.- at 80%. Work place is Bern or Lausanne in combination with home office.
For additional information, please contact Etienne Basset (email@example.com). We look forward to receiving your application by 31 May 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Valuable volunteer work
Our two Associations, SWISSAID Zurich and SWISSAID Geneva, are always looking for new members. Although you will not receive any money if you volunteer for our Associations, you are guaranteed our recognition and heartfelt thanks. You will gain valuable experience and exciting insights into new ways of life. And volunteering brings satisfaction – because doing good does good!