Charity Run is a 6 km course run, part of the Pune International Marathon which will be held on Sunday, 1st December 2013. Participants take part in the event to raise money for charitable causes.
You, the runner, will take part in the event to support the cause – Stop Violence, Empower Women. Through this cause, you will contribute towards mass awareness campaign across 10 villages which will help in increasing sensitivity and awareness of approximately 500 men and women on the following issues:
- Concept of domestic violence and its causes
- The legal rights and remedies available to the survivor of violence
- The role and responsibilities that the community can take up in providing support to the survivor of violence
- You will be provided with a T-Shirt highlighting the cause and a participation certificate from our end.
About the Issue:
Violence against women is one of the major social issues we face today. Of late this has captured the attention of people with the steady stream of bad news that one is witness to on a daily basis. As per the last government study, one woman out of every three women in India between the ages of 15 to 49 has experienced physical violence. One woman in four suffers violent abuse in India and cannot count on getting help. AID FOR CHANGE supports those affected to build a new life and raises awareness about this issue through the campaign ‘Stop Violence, Empower Women’.
The general objectives of our work are decreasing incidents of physical, psychological and structural violence against women, providing need based support to survivors and larger involvement of men in assuming joint responsibility for stopping violence against women.
Under this campaign, we will sensitize the communities through mass awareness campaigns that domestic violence is not acceptable, if committed it should be challenged by the survivor woman and the community should support her. It is also necessary to create awareness about the progressive legislation like Protection of Women against Domestic violence Act which provides for effective remedies and support services for women suffering from violence. The funds raised would be utilized towards poster exhibitions, street plays, and honorarium for lawyers and gender experts, LCD and sound arrangements, community mobilization and allied logistics and administration expenses in each of the 10 villages.
Interested participants will register their names and details with AID FOR CHANGE by November 15th, 2013. The cost for each entry is Rs. 2,500/- inclusive of participation fees, T-shirt and funds raised for the cause.
Benefits to You:
- Be associated with a social cause and gain satisfaction from knowing that you have made a difference in people’s lives by raising awareness about the issue and contributing your time and money.
- Get your short distance run on way to increasing fitness levels and well-being.
Benefits to Underprivileged Women:
Through the proceeds collected from this event, approximately 500 men and women, across 10 villages will get sensitized about the issue of domestic violence, survivors will be aware of remedies available to them and instances of domestic violence will reduce in those villages.
Benefits to AID FOR CHANGE:
Raise funds for our cause and also create awareness about our work.
AID FOR CHANGE is an initiative of SWISSAID in India, which has been present here since 1960.
We work with disadvantaged groups – dalits, adivasis, small farmers and underprivileged women in the states of Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh. We have extensive interventions through our following campaigns:
- ‘No Hunger, More Nutrition’ – Campaign focusing on ensuring food availability throughout the year and increased nutrition for underprivileged communities.
- ‘Natural Resources, Steady Income’ – Campaign focusing on increasing annual income of households through sustainable livelihood creation for marginalised farmers and disadvantaged groups.
- ‘Stop Violence, Empower Women’ – Campaign which focuses on reducing domestic violence, increasing gender parity, thereby empowering women.
About Pune International Marathon:
This is the 28th edition of the Pune International Marathon. For more details, kindly visit: www.marathonpune.com