Promoting local knowledge
The strategic goal of our Ecuador programme is to support self-administered, sustainable development of the villages SWISSAID is working with. Specifically, our priorities are:
- Supporting local knowledge
- Improving the basic food supply situation with sustainable, organic farming
- Managing natural resources
- Improving the economic and social situation of women
- Developing alternative economic and social structures
We support projects in the following areas:
- Organic farming
- Sustainable use of soil, forests and water
- Supporting women
Maize monocultures are widespread in Bolívar Province in Ecuador, but thanks to market gardens more of the soil is improving. This is due to the construction of a water supply system and training courses on organic cultivation – and SWISSAID supports both.
‘Mama Pacha’, the personification of ‘Mother Earth’ and goddess of fertility, is highly revered in the Ecuadorian Andes. She is a giver of life in every sense – in the form of plentiful harvests for example. But the farmers must play their part too and take good care of the soil. SWISSAID supports them in this.