Promoting local knowledge
The strategic goal of our Ecuador programme is to support self-administered, sustainable development of the villages SWISSAID is working with. Specifically, our priorities are:
- Supporting local knowledge
- Improving the basic food supply situation with sustainable, organic farming
- Managing natural resources
- Improving the economic and social situation of women
- Developing alternative economic and social structures
We support projects in the following areas:
- Organic farming
- Sustainable use of soil, forests and water
- Supporting women
‘Mama Pacha’, the personification of ‘Mother Earth’ and goddess of fertility, is highly revered in the Ecuadorian Andes. She is a giver of life in every sense – in the form of plentiful harvests for example. But the male and female farmers must play their part too and take good care of the soil. SWISSAID supports them in this.
Maize monocultures are widespread in Bolívar Province in Ecuador, but thanks to market gardens more of the soil is improving. This is due to the construction of a water supply system and training courses on organic cultivation – and SWISSAID supports both.